Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Wednesday's tax tip Vol. 14 - Taxes Avoidance Programs

When I was a college kid, I was studying for a tax course where I worked when a maintenance guy came in and told me "you know it's unconstitutional to pay income taxes". After spending an hour talking in circles about the tax code, he finally confessed to me that he spend 90 days in jail for tax evasion.

So when I get questions about various tax avoidance programs (or schemes as the IRS calls them), I always fall back on this question "is it worth going to jail to pursue this program".

The IRS has recently released a list of various tax schemes that people pursue and why they are illegal. If you find the need to pursue one of these, don't call me, because I don't want my name associated with these at all.

And always remember, it may be unconstitutional but if you end up in jail is it worth the price.

No comments: