Friday, March 9, 2007

What are you passionate about?

Too often when I'm talking to clients and friends about business I'm always struck by the answer to this question.

Why do you own your business?

The first response is usually, money. But frankly, money is not the reason. You can earn money working for someone else. It has to be other things.

This is the exercise I offer every person I talk to. If you were to name 2-3 adjectives that you want every person that does business with your company to use what would they be?

Thorough? Personable? Professional? Timely? it could be a myriad of things. Regardless, I then challenge my clients. Are these traits applicable to every relationship in your business? to your employees? vendors? customers? prospects? If the answer is no to any of these then it's no for all of them.

So think about what it is that makes you touched, moved and inspired about the ownership of a business and let's start by making those things consistent throughout the business.

No comments: